These little Cauliflower Nuggets have a little secret! Shhh…. They are made with vegetables and are healthy! Not that you would have any idea by the taste! Get out your sauces and start dippin’!
You’ve heard of all the different types of fritters, I’m sure. Well….let me tell you. No need to look any further!
When I hear the word nuggets, I automatically think..Yummy! It just has that appeal to it. These Baked Cauliflower Nuggets did not disappoint!
Wait. Back up a minute. Did you say Baked? Yep, you got it! Healthy, I tell you. Dig in!
Start by prepping all your add-ins. You can add whatever sounds good to you! This time I added cheese, spinach, onion, and ground beef.
Using a steamer basket, steam the cauliflower in a large pot until tender. You want them really soft so it’s easier to mash.
In the meantime, get your breadcrumbs or make them like I did. I blended them up and added some garlic salt for a little extra flavor. Oh, and because I absolutely LOVE garlic salt.
I just used a fork to mash the cauliflower but a masher would work great too!
Once it’s all mashed and not too lumpy, add in all the prepared add-ins.
Next, add in a cup of flour.
Then an egg – our glue! We want these guys to stick together!
I added the cheese last for some reason. I think it was the dramatic effect I was going for. Just kidding. But really, it looks yummy!
It’s also kind of sad because it was my second to last ration of cheese that I have brought from the States. Just knowing I’m running out is really sad! *sniff*
I received a really exciting addition to my kitchen for my birthday present! My very own “Piece of Home” stamped spoon! My brother-in-law and sister-in-law brought it to me when they came to visit. Isn’t it adorable!
I’m so in love and can’t wait to use it some more!
Ok, where are we. The fun part! Preheat the oven to 350F. Make the “dough” into small patties and then roll them into the bread crumbs.
Place them all on a tray and pop them in the oven! It’s really that easy.
These nuggets were a huge hit! My husband rated them a 9! I really enjoyed them as well. It was so hard to tell that they were just a vegetable.
My addition of ground beef made it into a dinner meal! We basically ate all of these…but no guilty feelings. Now THAT I like!
Baked Cauliflower Nuggets
1/2 small head cauliflower, broken into florets
1/2 cup chopped spinach
1 medium onion, diced
1 cup ground beef
1/2 cup cheese
1/2 tsp ground black pepper
1/4 tsp garlic salt
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup seasoned bread crumbs
1 egg, beaten
For the Sweet and Sour Sauce:
1 tbsp cornstarch
2 tbsp water
2/3 cup vinegar
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 tbsp ketchup
2 tsp soy sauce
1. In a large pot, bring a 1/4 inch of water to a boil. Place a steamer basket with cauliflower florets and put the lid on. Steam the cauliflower until very soft and tender.
2. Meanwhile, prepare all the add-ins for the nuggets. Chop the spinach, onion, cooked ground beef, and grated cheese.
3. Once cauliflower is soft, mash it into a creamy consistency. It will be a little stringy.
4. Stir in the spinach, onion, ground beef, and cheese.
5. Add the flour and egg. Stir well until everything is well combined.
6. Roll the cauliflower mixture into small patties. Start with a ball and then smash down a little until it forms a patty. Keep them small so they are like nuggets.
7. Roll the nuggets in the bread crumbs until completely covered. Place them on a cookie sheet. Lightly spray the tops with olive oil and bake for 15 minutes. Remove from oven, flip and bake another 15 minutes or until browned on both sides. Makes about 15-20 nuggets.
For the Sweet & Sour Sauce:
In a small saucepan, mix together the vinegar, brown sugar, ketchep, and soy sauce and bring to a boil. In a small cup mix together the cornstarch and water until all lumps are gone. Add to the vinegar mixture and heat on low about 2 minutes until thickened.
This sweet and sour sauce was our sauce of choice. We are both big sweet and sour fans so it just hit the spot!